One of the most popular commercial loans is meant for entrepreneurs who wish to commence a new business or want to expand an existing one. A new venture makes it a compulsion of an enormous inflow of funds. However, a large number of commercial loan applications are not acceptable both in the US and UK due to the fact that people do not understand the niceties of this kind of loan.
A commercial loan is a loan that is primarily sanctioned for a specific business purpose. These loans are meant for the encouragement of the entrepreneurs. So many loans get rejected due to the following:
- Typically, the most loan officers put loan applications through the grind. Loan officers are paid to review applications and identify those that are most deserving. A review begins typically with two demands: one is for a business plan and the next is for copies of previous tax returns. So, the initial step is the preparation of a business sketch, even in cases where the business is not a startup. This will convince the lender of the borrower’s credibility and authenticity.
- Sometimes, lenders are dissatisfied with the applicant’s submitted tax returns. Under the lender’s specified guidelines, this kind of business is not eligible for a commercial loan. One typical hassle is in relation to the business’s net income once there is a subtraction of the deductions.
- In some cases, the lender may be unable to give commercial loans for the particular kind of business. To illustrate, most lenders do not offer financing for bars and restaurant properties. Another example is auto service, which is condemned with a large number of environmental regulations. Some commercial loans are special loans by their very nature. These are inclusive of funeral homes, churches and gas stations. In this case, it is necessary to approach other lenders beyond traditional commercial lenders. Where traditional lenders do not grant the requested loan, a non-traditional commercial lender is the paramount option.
- When a business is on the requisition of a loan for expansion purposes, it is mandatory to convince the lender that they ought to invest money in the business. This is tough if the business profits are not very encouraging. Lenders need to make loan decisions on the basis of the ability of the borrower to generate cash and repay the loan along with the interest. The key is laying emphasis on the achievements of the business. In case the business has lost money, it is mandatory to know why there has been a loss and what steps are being taken to rectify the errors. Lenders look for a number of factors like business plans, leverage ratio and growth rate of the firm.
- Sometimes, borrowers do not have sufficient collateral. It could be that the lender does not have sufficient knowledge of the value of the equipment or machinery. In any case, lenders rarely lend the exact dollar amount against collateral. Even when they are convinced of the value, lenders have to pursue the rules corresponding to the ratios of loan-to-collateral.
- The country is full of diverse kinds of programs of commercial loans. The task is complicated quite a lot for picking and choosing your way to the right loan. So, if you are a novice or if you just do not have the time, consult a professional to use his services. This is because only they know which is the best loan for you and they may even suggest the best lenders. They will even be in a position to explain the loan and the terms of the loan that is being offered to you. The expert may even help you get the best deal by making a comparison of the key points and the loan rates, closing costs and prepayment penalties of the loans from diverse lenders.
- Imperatively you must understand what the lender is on the look for whilst you have applied for a commercial loan. Only then you will be able to address these needs and qualify for the loan.
- Sufficiently, you must apply for a commercial loan earlier. Lending agencies may declare that they are in need of 45 days, but genuine processing times are much longer. So, you need to make an application for the loan at least 2-3 months in advance.
- Just a single lender must not be depended upon. For one thing, this sort of financing is subjective. Also, it is very competitive. Most importantly, you must study diverse lending agencies too, which takes time. So, the applicant must submit their loan application to more than one lender.
- Generally, the lenders are asking for toxic reports these days. This is to ensure that the borrower is accountable environmentally. In case of contamination, the lender will have to bear the clean up costs unless they collect the toxic report. Keep this in mind whilst applying for a commercial loan.
- Absolutely, it is essential that all the information given to the lender is precise, accurate and verifiable. Also, you must organize the documents in such a form that it is easy for the lender to get the information sought by them. Due to being sloppy in documentation, very well you could lose the opportunity to qualify the loan. If that happens, you may not get a second chance.
- Loan Request: This implies the loan amount requested, the way the funds are to be used, loan type and the working capital amount on hand. Lender of commercial loans will feel more secure knowing that you have invested your own money in the commercial plan.
- Business Plan: If the commercial loans are in use for the commencement of a new business, the business plan is crucial. It ought to include cash flow projections for first 24 months. There has to be clarity and conciseness in the information. Its feasibility will be basic in getting the approval of commercial loans.