Many people dream of financial freedom. If you are in the middle of debt problems, then finding a debt relief solution can help you get through your crisis. However, not every solution can be taken as the right answer to bring you out of your debt trap.
To get a debt solution, you need to know the appropriate ways to achieve it. Although some things may seem too obvious, and this would help you understand that the simple and basic things of debt solutions are right under your nose.
When you have financial obligations, the creditors do not expect you to pay them back in full. It will be very hard to achieve this. One debt relief solution that you can employ is paying your liabilities in installments. Most lending companies will entertain the idea and offer you a good scheme to reduce your burden. By paying the agreed amount earlier, you can avoid more penalties and lessen your outstanding balance. Although the debt solution can take a while, it is still worth the try instead of waiting to save huge amounts.
Accumulation of Smallest Cents
Another effective debt relief is through saving. Given the fact that you are in the middle of a financial crisis, for sure, you still have few cents available. Keep as much as you can and try to save them. When combined, the few cents you have can sum up to bigger amounts and can help you reduce your debt problems. Instead of buying unnecessary items, just keep the extra money you have and make small sacrifices to achieve financial freedom.
No Acquisition of New Loans
Another debt relief solution for people is through getting a new loan to cover up an existing debt problem. Even if this the strategy helps, you will be on the losing end as there will the long-term interests to be paid you pay. If you get a new loan as your debt relief solution, then you have to pay for new processing fees and interest charges. The fees could have gotten a long way to bring you debt relief. If you can still think of other ways to get out of the debt problem, consider this as your last resort.
A proven debt relief solution is requesting a refinancing from your creditors. Because the lending companies want to collect as much as possible from you, so they will definitely approve your request. By a restructured payment scheme, you can arrange lower installment plans. Just present the problem to them and together, discuss the possible solutions. Before you make another compromise, be sure that you can accommodate the debt relief solution offered by your creditor. It will be more difficult to request for another refinancing if you fail to comply with the first request.
Get A Grip
Your first priority is to get a solid handle on your debt problem, and it may be easier than you think. You can set a well-planned budget to make life more manageable. Setting a budget does not mean you cannot own any of the things you want. The number one main reason why people fail to set budgets is that they feel they will never be able to buy anything enjoyable again, but they can.
Still, You Can Splurge
If you want a certain car or a designer dress, you can prioritize your budget. You may be able to cut back on some of your other spending habits. The key to a good debt relief solution is to know what and when you can spend some money. You must be extremely disciplined in order to stay on track with your debt relief solution.
Don't do it Alone
If you find that you are not staying on track, you should not be ashamed to seek some debt relief counseling. There are many well-trained experts who can help you stay on track or perhaps evaluate your budget to make thing easier for you to maintain.
Non-Bankruptcy Debt Relief Solutions
Liquidating Assets: This is known as the most common non-bankruptcy debt relief solution, as it is effortless and a number of people go for their retirement accounts to fulfill this solution. But, just like any other solution, it also has consequences, including tax implications for early withdrawals.
House refinancing to repay other debts is also some of the popular options available. But of course, you must be ready to interest and any refinancing fees it attracts for over a 20 or 30 year time period.
Credit Card Cash Advances and Balance Transfers: These are counted amongst the readily available options, but they have high-interest rates. Too often these solutions are proven to be temporary, and in case the spending habit of an individual hasn't changed, then they find themselves right back in the same situation, i.e. too much debt on their head with too little cash in their hand.
Credit Counseling: Credit counseling, an emerging industry has come under scrutiny because many of the outfits work like hyped collection agencies, getting fees from the clients' creditors on their recovered debts.
The success level is low, and the payments regularly exceed on what people can afford monthly. Apart from this, a major issue is creditor participation, where not all creditors can participate. So, here are some guidelines if you want to consider this:
- Credit counseling must be done face-to-face. Sharing important information on the phone is a bad idea. There is no surety these days that the voice on the other end of the phone is even in the US
- Make sure to ask your credit counseling agency if they can make all of your creditors participate. If you have an uncovered creditor, then you have to settle the debt of that creditor outside your credit counseling plan.
- Plan in such a way that you will be able to pay both the credit counseling fees and the amounts which are not covered in the plan (just in case).
- The credit counseling option does not cover secured debts, payday loans, and old liabilities which are in the compilation.
- Credit counseling will definitely impact your credit rating, as it will be reflected on your credit report.
Negotiated Settlement with Creditors: This could help reduce the principal amount for a lump sum payment, or extended payment terms. The risk involved is that your creditors can take legal actions against you as you gather the settlement amount to pay to your creditors. In such case, you should proceed with caution and employ a bankruptcy attorney for your assistance.
A reduced principal settlement can attract possible tax implications. If negotiating extends the payments, then be sure of the interest rate and also know when the debt will be completed. Ensure that you are choosing someone, who has the authority to conduct negotiation of a settlement with you.
Be confident that the debt is settled and released either with the help of a lump sum payment or payment extended terms.
Loss Mitigation: Loss mitigation is considered as the most preferred debt relief option for mortgages. It works to either generate a financially feasible mortgage resolution for the homeowner or relieve the mortgage obligation from the homeowner. Loss mitigation further includes the following options:
- Loan Modification: This option alters the mortgage of a homeowner and both the lender and the homeowner have to abide by the new terms. These modifications include lowered interest rate, reduced principal balance, increased loan term, forgiveness of payment defaults and fees, or any other combination of these options.
- Short Sale: In this option, a lender agrees to accept a payoff which is less than the principal balance of a mortgage, and offers permission to the homeowner to sell the house for its actual market value. This only applies to those homeowners who have a mortgage balance larger than the market value of the property. With the absence of such an agreement, the homeowner could not sell the house. Most probably, there are tax consequences of such deals. It also harms one's credit rating.
- Short Refinance: This is made possible when a lender decreases the principal mortgage balance in order to enable the homeowner to refinance with a new lender. The reduction in principal must match the loan-to-value guidelines of the new lender, making the refinancing possible. Tax and credit consequences are the same as other options.
- A Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure: It is an option where a mortgage borrower voluntarily deeds over the collateral property in exchange for a release from all mortgage responsibilities. Highly damaging to the credit ratings.
- Forbearance: For some time period, no monthly or reduced payment is needed in this option. Sometimes, the lender will ask for the reduced or missed payments to be repaid after the forbearance process is completed while other times the lender will just alter the loan.